Lemon Asparagus Risotto
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 12 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 2 cups Arborio (risotto) rice
- 3 tablespoons Santa Cruz Organic® Pure Lemon Juice
- 1 cup asparagus cut on the diagonal in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons minced flat-leaf Italian parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese to taste
- HEAT olive oil and butter in medium-size stock pot over medium heat until butter is melted; add onion and cook until translucent and just beginning to brown on edges, about 8 minutes.
- HEAT chicken broth in separate stock pot over medium heat to light simmer.
- ADD rice to stockpot with onions and stir. Allow rice to brown slightly 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- ADD one cup of heated chicken broth; stir once and leave 5 to 7 minutes while broth absorbs.
- ADD the next 10 cups of broth one cup at a time in the following manner, cooking over medium to medium-high heat. Add cup of broth, stir well just until blended. Allow broth to absorb into rice. The risotto should have a creamy, porridge-like appearance before adding the next cup of broth.
- ADD final cup of broth and cook over medium to medium-low heat until broth is fully absorbed and asparagus is bright green and lightly cooked. Remove from heat; salt to taste. Reserve some parsley for garnish; add remaining parsley and stir until blended. To serve, ladle into bowls or onto a plate; sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and reserved minced parsley.
- To reheat, heat additional broth or water. Add to cooked risotto and heat slowly.