African Peanut Butter Stew
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 pounds chicken pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup Santa Cruz Organic® Light Roasted Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups peeled potatoes, cut in 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 (14.5 oz) can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- SEASON chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy frying pan. Working in batches, brown chicken pieces, transfer to dish or bowl.
- ADD onions to pan and cook until golden brown and soft, about 5 minutes.
- COMBINE peanut butter and tomatoes with water in medium bowl. Stir mixture into frying pan, scraping up any browned bits.
- RETURN chicken to pan. Add carrots, potatoes, garbanzo beans, thyme, seasoned salt and black pepper. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender, about an hour. Serve over cooked rice.